Kevin Weekes: Hearing the Calgary Flames have Matthew Tkachuk, future first-round pick, a former first-round pick and two other prospects in a package for Jack Eichel.
- Greg Wyshynski: “RW Matthew Coronato, C Connor Zary, LW Jakob Pelletier, D Juuso Valimaki are all “former 1st round picks.” Then again, so are Sean Monahan and Mikael Backlund…”
- Lance Lysowski: “Tkachuk is an RFA this summer and his QO will be $9 million, according to @CapFriendly“
- Lance Lysowski: “And for those asking, yes, I still make that deal. Tkachuk would be a fan favorite in Buffalo. The kind of player the Sabres need and has a history with Granato. Worst case scenario, you trade him if an extension can’t be completed.”
- Mike Johnson: “Worth considering, if Tkachuk is big prize coming to Buffalo, he has one more yr as RFA then UFA in summer of ’23. So if you’re BUF, you’d want to have extension worked out, or be prepared to trade him again because you can let him walk for nothing, which gives Tkachuk leverage”
- Mike Johnson: “Which could explain why CAL would include him, knowing he will need a massive contract or can walk shortly, and we’ve already seen how effective Tkachuk’s can be negotiating with leverage.”
- Curtis Pashelka: “The Flames would be nuts, IMO, to give up Tkachuk, plus past and present first-rounders, plus one or two other prospects, for Eichel (even though Tkachuk’s QO will be $9 million).”
- Mike Harrington: “#Sabres should run, not walk, to any offer that includes Matthew Tkachuk as the focal point of an Eichel deal. Let alone with whatever else they would get.”
John Vogl: Heard that the Buffalo Sabres are feeling some extra pressure, that is not related to any grievance filing, to get at trade done.
(Eichel’s underlyings are a bit strange because of his injury-shortened 2020-21 season where his offensive impact dipped and his defensive impact went into overdrive.)
— JFresh (@JFreshHockey) November 3, 2021